TITLE: Financial Assistant
LOCATION: RO Dakar
DURATION OF CONTRACT: 6 months
CHILD SAFETY: Level 3: the job holder will have contact with children and/or young people That is frequently (eg once a week or more) or intensively (eg four days in a month or more or overnight) because they work on national programs; or visit country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police vetting/vetting process personnel.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
The West and Central Africa Region has a regional management office in Dakar. The main role of the regional management unit is to support and strengthen the capacities of nine country offices in the region. The Regional Management Unit is also a small business unit in its own right and as such receives funds from SCI and donors to manage both surveillance related operations and regional programs. The regional management office requires administrative support to ensure the proper use and management of these funds. Within the finance team, the finance assistant contributes to the establishment of accounting systems, policies and procedures. He/she supports the department by collecting, processing, recording and reconciling financial data, verifying the validity, completeness and accuracy of source documentation, performing accounting activities daily tasks such as analysis, maintenance, completion, reconciliation and verification of specific financial data and documents.
SCOPE OF ROLE
Reports to: RO Finance Coordinator
Staff reporting to this position: None
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY :
Payments and accounting:
- Prepare regional office payments and ensure they are approved accordingly
- Prepare staff expense claims, ensuring that staff are continually briefed on requirements when claims and payment claims are submitted
- Prepare staff travel advances and fund reconciliations
- Record expense transactions in the business system ensuring completeness and accuracy of numbers and financial coding.
- Support monthly book closing on time and against checklist
- Answer questions related to payments for internal staff, consultants, countries, suppliers, etc.
- Keep track of commitments and outstanding contract amounts.
- Keep track of rent, water, electricity, internet, landline and mobile phone bills.
- Keep track of staff commitments
- Make sure tax obligations are paid on time.
- Provide support for the production of all monthly, quarterly and annual accounting reports, including the Monthly Financial Report (MFR), Monthly Checklist (MCC) and other reports required by the finance schedule.
- Deposit of letters of bank transfers to the bank and withdrawals of checks
- Update bank journal daily with payments and ensure RO does not run out of money
- Petty cash management
- Support the coordination of year-end audits and awards and respond to audit issues
- Assist during year-end close and audit preparation, including partner audit
- Maintain accurate and complete paper files of all financial documents. Including electronic filing of house contracts and consultant contracts.
Coverage during absences of finance staff. Other responsibilities required by supervisor.
BEHAVIORS (Values in Practice)
- holds itself accountable for making decisions, effectively managing resources, realizing and exemplifying the values of Save the Children
- holds the team and partners accountable for fulfilling their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance, and enforcing appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- broadly shares his personal vision of Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- future-oriented, thinks strategically and globally.
establishes and maintains effective relationships with team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
accessible, good listener, easy to talk to.
- develops and promotes new and innovative solutions
- willing to take disciplined risks.
- honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates the highest levels of integrity
- Technical degree in finance or business administration
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- 2 years in Finance (including accounting)
- A good level of written and verbal communication in English and French and interpersonal skills
- Proven knowledge and experience of using a computer (MS-Excel, PowerPoint and MS-Word), preferably with the Agresso accounting package
- Experience working in a team and delivering high quality work on time
Additional Job Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities described above are not exhaustive and the incumbent may be required to perform additional duties within the reasonable extent of his level of skills and experience.
How to register
Please follow this link to apply: https://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=YS50YW1iYS45MDIxNC4xMjE4NUBzYXZldGhlY2hpbGRyZW5hby5hcGxpdHJhay5jb20